Monday, April 11, 2011

Menu Board Monday Edition #10: Baked Penne with Turkey Meatballs

Back about a year ago, I saw a recipe for Turkey Meatballs.  Although they sounded like the "right" thing to do, being healthier and all, I just couldn't get past the thought that they would be perhaps CHEWY like ground turkey can sometimes be.  So, I never did make them.  And now I'd like to kick myself in the butt because let me just tell you, if they were anything like these ones, I really would have liked them.... A LOT!  I am not much of a pasta eater... I mean, I like it, just not very often and it needs to be almost undercooked.? I can't stand soggy pasta.  I'm kinda like my dad like that!
These turkey meatballs are so moist on the inside with just the right amount of seasonings and because they are baked, they have a crunchier outside!  I felt like they were the perfect texture and if I didn't know better I wouldn't have known they were turkey!
I hope you try this recipe! It takes a bit of time, but is well worth the time spent, when you take your first bite!  This recipe makes a full 9x13 pan and could feed an army!
**Don't forget to go HERE to enter to win a Set of 6 Silicone Baking Cups by LeCreuset!**


Baked Penne with Turkey Meatballs
recipe adapted by From Cupboard to Cupboard
original recipe from Family Circle
Printable Recipe

1 lb ground turkey
2 cups finely crushed cornflakes
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
16 oz package penne pasta
1 26-28 oz jar marinara or spaghetti sauce
2 cups shredded mozzerella cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil and set aside.  In a large bowl, mix turkey, cornflake crumbs, eggs, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until the mixture is well combined.  Shape into meatballs using a cookie scoop.  I used my medium cookie scoop and I got 19 meatballs.  If you use a 1/4 cup scoop then you should get approximately 12 meatballs.  Transfer meatballs to baking sheet; bake at 400 for 12 minutes (15 minutes for the larger meatballs).  Turn and bake an additional 12 (15 for larger) minutes.  Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on package, just a minute less. Drain.  Coat a 13x9x2 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; add pasta.  Toss with meatballs, marinara and 1 1/2 cups cheese.  Scatter remaining cheese over dish.  Bake at 400 degrees, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until bubbly.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with garlic bread!




Happy Cooking!

Teauna

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I love almost anything turkey. Pretty sure I will be trying these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey... they are really good! I'm thinking I'll make these meatballs again soon but put them over Fettucini Alfredo... It would make a good combination too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if there's a big taste difference w/o using the cornflakes..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alycia!
    You could use bread crumbs if you had them. If you didn't use them, they'd still turn out fine... I don't think you necessarily taste them as much as they are there for a binder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i went ahead and used them and it looks and smells delicious! Wish there was a way for me to post a pic! Your blog is my favorite of all time now! Of and I made the Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alycia.... you can send me a pic @ teawclark@gmail.com and I will post it on my facebook wall!
    Thanks so much for the compliment! You've totally made my day!
    Those cupcakes are yummy! I'm brewing up a couple more cupcake recipes... Can't wait to get them complete and posted!
    Definitely send me pics... I'm sure everyone would love to see them!

    xoxo,
    Teauna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your happy comments make my day!

xoxo