Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins

Continuing on with "Muffin Week", I thought I'd use up some of those fresh blueberries I picked up the other day at the store. This recipe is one that I think is certainly best to mix by hand. That way the blueberries don't stain the batter blue! These muffins have a slight citrus taste from the orange juice, which I love! Even the pickiest eater of our household enjoys these muffins! I hope you do too :)

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
printable recipe

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp oil (I used canola)
1 tsp vanilla
1 6-oz carton vanilla yogurt (I used low-fat yoplait)
1 large egg, slighty beaten
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (thaw if frozen)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine orange juice, oil, vanilla, yogurt, and egg; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moist. Gently fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake for 18 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pans immediately, and place muffins on a wire rack. Yields: 1 dozen.

*Always remember that the less muffin batter is stirred, the better. Overstirring results in muffins that are tough with undesirable tunnels inside.*

*Too much flour will result in tough muffins*

*Muffins are best when eaten the day they are made, but they freeze well, too. Cover them tightly and freeze for up to one month.*

Happy Cooking!
Teauna

5 comments:

  1. Love making muffins with blueberries, especially fresh ones. Will add this one to my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could I use flavored yogurt? and If I did lets say Strawberry yogurt... could I leave out the blueberries, and would this taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. TeaLady... I hope you enjoy them!
    Kris Stena... I have made a recipe similar to this one with lemon yogurt. The flavor is really mild, but good. I'm sure you could do it with Strawberry yogurt and leave out berries. They are pretty moist. You could also put in strawberries with strawberry yogurt. That would be tasty! If you try it, let me know your findings:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummo! Was the orange juice made or still frozen? I have a ton of blueberries I need to use so I'll be making these tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camille... it is prepared orange juice! They are really good! I hope you enjoy them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your happy comments make my day!

xoxo