Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dressed-Up Chocolate Cupcakes


There are times we are all running around like chickens without heads trying to get our kids to and from school, practices, etc... There are things to be done at home, treats to be made for a special occasion, and there just doesn't seem like there's enough time in a day. 

Do you ever feel this way??

Well, I sure do sometimes.  And knowing that Valentines Day {AKA MY BIRTHDAY} is drawing near & I just have to bake treats for the kids' classes, I'm starting to prepare myself.  When I need to make a larger number of treats I like to make cupcakes, because they are quick and you can bake 24 at a time.  I'll be honest, I've made alot of cupcakes from scratch and don't get me wrong... I love them.  However!.... Do you realize the people at Betty Crocker have thrived on perfecting their cake mixes?  I love Betty Crocker {and good ole' Duncan Hines ain't all that bad :)}  I have decided that at my house, I would rather just "dress-up" a cake mix then spend all that time making a heavier cake that I really don't care to eat. 

I laugh when people say to me, "but you're a cook! I can't believe you use mixes...I thought you make everything from scratch!"  Ha ha ha!  People I am human!  And I go for easy sometimes too! :)  I also go for flavor and have to admit that Betty Crocker does a mighty fine job at getting her flavors spot on!  I like to take what she has perfected and add my own personal charm to them... not only does using a cake mix save you the time, you can still make them yours!

So, I thought I'd share this with you!  Really, don't be ashamed to make a cake mix YOURS! 

Dressed-Up Chocolate Cupcakes
by From Cupboard to Cupboard

1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix ( I prefer Betty Crocker Super Moist Milk Chocolate)
ingredients to make mix as directed on box... example: eggs, oil & water
1/2 bag mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can of whipping cream {I don't like the "LITE" versions, they're too watery... get a fattening one! Oh and that chocolate whipping cream in a can would be divine!}
1 can chocolate frosting {yup... Betty does that too!}
sprinkles

Mix cake mix, and ingredients required on box as directed.  Add 1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter.  Mix until distributed.  Bake cupcakes as directed on box.  Leave in pans for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to prevent papers from peeling away from cupcakes when they cool.  Cool completely on wire rack.  Take a knife (I like to use a steak knife because they're serrated}.  Being careful not to cut thru the paper on the bottom of the cupcake, cut an X into the middle of the top of each cupcake.  Now take your can of whipping cream, shake it up real good, place the nozzle in the X of the cupcake and fill the cupcake.  You'll be able to feel it as it gets heavier.  Just fill it until it is level with the top of the cupcake.  Now take the frosting in the can and whip it real good with a knife.  It smooths it out and makes it look like yummy homemade frosting :)  Frost the cupcakes and throw on some cute sprinkles for whatever occasion! 
Now when you take them, don't warn anyone they have filling!  Let it be a surprise! 

** You could surely do this with different flavors of cupcakes and different fillings.... this is just what I did this morning.  Start to finish 48 cupcakes in 1 hr 15 minutes with cooling time!  Can't beat that!**

Happy Cooking!

Teauna

1 comment:

  1. There is never enough time in the day...I just try to whittle down the important stuff on the list. ;) The cupcakes look dreamy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your happy comments make my day!

xoxo