Monday, June 20, 2011

Menu Board Monday Edition #16 : Chicken Cordon Bleu Roll-Ups


Happy Monday!  I hope you all had a great Father's Day weekend with many wonderful memories made.  We sure did!  We celebrated Father's Day on Saturday at our house and it was so nice... good food, good company, and lots of good conversation & laughter.  I sure wish I would've taken more pictures.  But I was too busy with the food.  :)
When the warm weather rolls around, I just itch to cook in the dutch ovens outside.  I love cooking with Cast Iron.  Everything just seems to taste so much better when it's cooked in a dutch oven!  Anyhow, because it was actually warm {a rarity around here lately}, I decided to make the whole meal outside!  I am so glad that I did! 
This is one of those things that I only make every now and again, because it is a bit pricier to feed a crowd, but hey, we were celebrating Father's Day!  And can I just tell you that if I had a million dollars, it just wouldn't be enough to repay my Dad for all he's done for me and given me in my lifetime!  I just love that guy!  He's an amazing example & the love he has for my Mom is so AWESOME that it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it! 
Back to the chicken..... I had everything prepared and starting to cook by 11 am and we ate at 2 and the chicken was melt-in-your-mouth yummy!  The preparation time is a bit longer than an average meal, but it is sooooo worth it and everyone at your table will remember it!  I promise!
I have sized my recipe down a bit... as my recipe fed 9 and we had plenty left over to eat for lunch and dinner for 2 days at my house! :) I had a full 16 inch dutch oven!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Roll-Ups
From Cupboard to Cupboard
printable recipe


1 (8 oz) pkg sliced mushrooms
3 Tbsp flour
4 Tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
2 tsp dijon mustard

thinly slice ham ( I used 2 thin slices per chicken breast)
velveeta cheese, sliced
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts ( I filet each breast so it makes two...so you may only need 2-3)

First, prepare your chicken roll-ups by taking your chicken breast and laying your ham and cheese on top, near the middle, and roll it up jelly-roll style, then place a toothpick {or two} in it to secure it! Set aside...
Take the mushrooms and coat them with the flour in a bowl.  Melt your butter or margarine in a dutch oven or large pot (whatever you're cooking them in.  Use a 12 inch dutch oven).  Add mushrooms and saute in butter about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.  Add broth and cream and stir until thickened.  The flour on your mushrooms will act as your thickening agent :)
Now add your chicken roll-ups to your white sauce and bake 30-40 minutes on low heat or 350 in the oven. (can use coals 10 on bottom and 14 on top of 12 inch).  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  I cook mine several hours on a lower heat stirring occasionally to prevent scorching and sticking! 


I'm sure there are many variations you could do with this simple recipe!  But we are rather, well, simple, around here.  Please feel free to share any variations you may make to this recipe!  I'd love to hear from you!


Happy Cooking!

Teauna

I linked up here:

3 comments:

  1. We're simple around here too! And we also love dutch oven! Nothing like it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Not sure if you've seen the post yet or not but I featured you this week on savory sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique idea! I love this. I make a chix cordon bleu casserole and this is way cool too. So glad you shared this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your happy comments make my day!

xoxo