Thursday, June 23, 2011

Root Beer Float Cupcakes



Ever since I made the Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes several weeks ago, I have wanted to continue making different "summer drink" cupcakes.  I guess we could call this a "Mission" that I've given myself!   The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of summer drinks is a Root Beer Float.  I just love the combination of the vanilla and root beer.  Can anyone argue with me?  Nope! Didn't think so!  Anyhow.... I have been on this so-called mission to make Root Beer Float Cupcakes for a month now.  Oh. my. goodness!  I have thrown so many icky cupcakes (one in particular sticks in my mind and refuses to leave... ick!) into my garbage can, knowing good and well that my chickens wouldn't even be interested!  I never knew it would be so difficult to make a successful root beer cupcake.  But I have to admit I had made it even more difficult on myself because I chose to try to make it without eggs, considering I have been building up the idea in my head for so long and I have been yearning to eat one of them! And I'm allergic. to. eggs!  I really didn't want a gut ache, so this was one more mission to conquer! An eggless root beer cupcake!  Well.... my friends, I think I did alright!  Finally, on my fourth attempt, I'm pretty happy with the outcome! I actually really like them. quite alot, really.  This is what I came up with: a moist & eggless root beer flavored cupcake filled and frosted with a sweet vanilla bean buttercream frosting and drizzled with a root beer glaze.
______________________________________________________
Are you enticed?
-----------------------------------------------------
Mission Accomplished!

Root Beer Float Cupcakes
From Cupboard to Cupboard
  • 2 cups root beer soda
  • 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 teaspoons root beer extract
  • 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour (add 2 Tbsp for high altitude)
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
Vanilla Bean Buttercream
From Cupboard to Cupboard
  • 2 cups butter, softened
  • 2 pounds powdered sugar
  • 3-4 teaspoon milk
  • 1 dash salt
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla bean paste
Root Beer Glaze
From Cupboard to Cupboard
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon root beer extract
  • 2 teaspoon milk
For cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 24 muffin cups, using paper liners of your choice; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine soda and vinegar and let sit for 2 minutes. Add sugar, oil, & extracts. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda & baking powder. Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients and mix until well blended. Fill paper liners 3/4 full, using an ice cream scoop. Batter is runnier, but bakes up moist. Bake 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack, then transfer cupcakes directly to wire rack to cool completely.
For Vanilla Bean Buttercream filling/frosting:
In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and combine. Dissolve salt in milk and add to butter mixture. Add vanilla bean paste. Using a Wilton #230 tip on pastry bag, insert tip into center of cupcake and fill cupcake. Then using a Wilton #2D tip, pipe frosting on top using a circular motion starting at the outside edge. Set cupcakes aside.

For glaze: Combine 1/3 cup powdered sugar, root beer extract and milk. Whisk until combined. Drizzle over frosted cupcakes. Sprinkle with white sanding sugar to resemble the foam on the top of a root beer float.

Can serve at room temperature or keep in a freezer or fridge for a cold treat.



Happy Cooking!
Teauna


I linked up here:

Button







Nap-Time Creations


Sumo's Sweet Stuff




Cast Party Wednesday

19 comments:

  1. Oh Teauna, you bad bad girl! these look amazing! Rootbeer floats, excuse me while I wipe up the drool, are high on my list of favorite things. I've not had one in years! Shameful I say LOL. Bookmarking this bad boy, I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those look good. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness is right! These look flippin' delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just gorgeous! My 6-year-old would LOVE these. He's a huge root beer fan! Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Root Beer floats are one of my addictions. These look perfect. Thanks for following me, I am now following you right back!!!
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got a stunning space here! Read a few posts and loved those! Thanks for sharing such lovely recipes:)
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's so clever! I've never made up a recipe. I'm so impressed!

    Where do you buy root beer extract? Is it available at a regular grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  8. you should be able to find root beer extract at your local grocery store. just make sure its extract and not concentrate. ;) thanks.... Teauna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Following you from Super Stalker Sunday Blog Hop

    Please follow me back if you get the chance Taz's Journey

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing! I'm bookmarking these for a later date!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG these sound awesome the flavors sound amazing I am going to have to try these come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you kidding me? These sound amazing! Please share your recipe by linking it up at Muffin and Cupcake Monday! Thanks!

    http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/muffin-monday-maple-brown-sugar-and-applesauce-muffins

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your lovely words on my blog:)
    I'm following you back:)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for linking up at Muffin Monday! Have a great week! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yum! Hi! I just wanted to invite you to come share on my Tasty Tuesday party! Hope to see you there! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just wanted to say hi!! I'm glad you joined us for the SSS hop! Don't be a stranger!!

    Kortney

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great recipe! Would you come over to my party "Cast Party Wednesday" and share some of your recipes?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love rootbeer! These cupcakes sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your happy comments make my day!

xoxo