Sunday, January 3, 2010

**German Pancakes**


My family absolutely loves the whole concept of "Breakfast for Dinner".... I always find it strange how excited they get when I tell them we're having breakfast! And they eat and eat and eat like there's no tomorrow! I have an allergy to eggs so I'm no longer able to enjoy German pancakes but they're soooo easy and so worth making just to watch everyone enjoy them so much. And this is also a wonderful way to use my crazy supply of eggs (thank you chickens!). We love watching them rise and there have never been any two that turn out the same. The kids call these "mountain pancakes" because that's what they resemble when they come out of the oven before they settle. * I don't always make the syrup but it is wonderful if you have an extra minute to throw it together! *
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
Buttermilk Syrup:
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 Tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Place the eggs, milk, flour and salt in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Pour the butter into an ungreased 13x9x2 baking dish; add the batter. Bake, uncovered, at 400 for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the first five syrup ingredients; bring to a boil. Boil for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Yields: 8 servings & about 2 cups syrup...

3 comments:

  1. I love this recipe too! We had it just this weekend for breakfast! I thought of you when I made them, wondering if you had the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that recipe for the buttermilk sauce. I used it on the cheesecake I made for christmas dinner. It is really yummy. Never tried the pancakes but I will now that I have a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these last week for breakfast and oh my!! Sooo good!!! My husband took one bite and said, "WOW, it tastes like candy!" That syrup is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your happy comments make my day!

xoxo