Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chocolate Sunflower Seeds


Have you ever tried Chocolate-covered Sunflower Seeds? Surprisingly, they are really good! So when I saw the pastel ones the other day in Kitchen Kneads, I just had to grab them. As I was sneaking some the other day(they're not recommended by my diet plan...lol), I thought to myself, "Why not add them to some cookies?" So, this morning at 5:00 when the first daycare kid arrived, I just happened to have them mixed up and ready to bake. I like a good chewy oatmeal cookie and this is my favorite recipe. So, I just added some sunflower seeds, and not only are they cute and SPRINGY(yeah I know, it's not a word!), but they taste soooo good! Try them for yourself.




Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chocolate Sunflower Seeds
printer-friendly version

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup shortening (not butter or margarine)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 small tube (or as many as you want) chocolate covered sunflower seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and shortening. Add eggs and milk and mix well. Stir in rolled oats. In a separate bowl, sift together salt, baking soda, spices, and flour. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and mix in until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips and sunflower seeds. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet or SILPAT lined cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes 3-4 dozen cookies.

*If you haven't seen these seeds, I have seen them in grocery stores. They come in plastic tubes and in a huge variety of colors! They are a little pricey, but oh, they are so worth it! :-) *

Recipe adapted from Lion House Bakery Cookbook

Happy Cooking!

Teauna

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE those sunflower seeds!! So worth the money!! I have to try these in the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the BEST idea! I never htought to use those in cookies and it will be perfect for spring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your happy comments make my day!

xoxo